How to Prevent Mold
Contact the professionals at SERVPRO® of Panthersville at (678) 515-8602 who have the equipment for Mold Remediation services.
The key to preventing mold is moisture control. Mold cannot grow without excessive moisture in your home. Experts generally advise keeping the humidity levels in your home below 55%. You can use a hygrometer to monitor your humidity levels.
Give your home a thorough checkup to identify any issues that might contribute to future mold growth and correct any problems as soon as possible. Hire a professional to assist you if you are unsure how to make the necessary repairs. It will be well worth the cost because you will save so much money in health care, home repair, and mold removal expenses in the future.
- Window frames—check around all window frames to ensure that they seal tightly and no water seeps in.
- Sinks, toilets, and tubs—check under and around all sinks, toilets, and tubs for any leaking water. Install water leak sensors in these areas to alert you early to any leaks.
- Hot water heaters—check around your hot water heater for any leaking water. This is another good place to install a water leak sensor.
- Roofs—examine your ceilings for signs of a leaky roof. Sometimes you cannot see signs of leakage from inside the house until the problem worsens. Hire a professional to get up on the roof and inspect it for you if you are unsure how to inspect it.
- Bathrooms—check for adequate ventilation especially when showering. If the room gets steamy when you shower, then turn on an exhaust fan or crack open a window. If you do not have an exhaust fan in the bathroom, then you may need to install one.
- Basement—try the sniff test. Is there a musty odor in the basement? If so, there may be mold present. Purchase a dehumidifier if the basement smells damp or musty.
- Attic—also try the sniff test in the attic. There may be mold in the attic if there have been any leaks in your roof. If not, keep a hygrometer in your attic to measure humidity levels. A hygrometer transmits the humidity level to the main unit so you can monitor your attic humidity levels very easily.
In addition, you can prevent mold by:
- Wiping up any water spills promptly.
- Using a fan to help dry any damp carpet as soon as possible
- Keeping windows tightly closed when it is raining outside
- Using exhaust fans in the bathroom when showering and in the kitchen when cooking
- Wiping showers, shower curtains, tubs, and so forth dry with a towel after use
- Keeping an eye out for signs of mold and addressing any problems promptly
- Installing a solar fan in your attic so that you have good air circulation there all year round.
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds Antimicrobial
The Concrobium Mold Control antimicrobial is a highly effective cleaning product that removes mold stains quickly and easily without scrubbing.
Routine cleaning of the environment including floors, toilet, locker room, bathing facilities, and furniture is necessary to produce conditions that inhibit the development and possible spread of infections. The advantages and disadvantages of the Quaternary Ammonium Compounds Antimicrobial are as follows:
- The solutions are basically inexpensive, easy to use, and widely applied in food processing areas, locker rooms, toilet, and bath areas as well as garbage storage areas.
- The product is effective against a broad spectrum of bacteria, it acts as a virucide and fungicide, and it inhibits the growth of mold and mildew.
- Some formulations of this product are used as sanitizer-cleaner solutions for cleaning and disinfecting environmental areas in one step.
- Formulations are made using this antimicrobial along with muriatic acid as a toilet bowl cleaner to remove iron and scale stains and sanitize simultaneously.
- The solutions are deactivated through contact with soaps, anionic detergents, and heavy soil accumulations.
- Antimicrobial activity is good against gram-positive organisms, but more limited against gram-negative organisms.
Don’t hesitate to contact SERVPRO® of Panthersville at 678-515-8602 for your Mold Remediation services.
More often, mold can be self-treated. Nevertheless, it takes more than just a simple wipe-down with a wet cloth. This might effectively remove some of the unsightly black marks, but it does nothing to clear away the spores. You will find that over a few days or weeks, the mold will grow back in the same place. You may have even exacerbated the issue by wetting the walls. This perceived stubbornness could be the reason why so many homeowners are terrified by the appearance of mold. They may think that because it grows back, then it is indicative of a deeper issue with the house. However, the likely issue is that the mold is just not being treated as aggressively as it should. A mix of detergent or bleach as home remedy must be used to eradicate the spores, and ventilation needs to be improved to prevent the issue from recurring. The ways you can treat and prevent mold growth include:
- Using a fan to improve circulation
- Replacing air filters
- Keep walls and soft furnishings dry
- Use a dehumidifier to keep the house's humidity below 60%
- Wipe away condensation from walls and windows
- Insulate cold surfaces
If mold problem exists in a home that you intend to buy is significant, then you would be best advised to hire SERVPRO® of Panthersville professionals to clean away the mold. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends leaving cleanups to the professionals when the mold growth exceeds 10 square feet.