If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (678) 515-8602

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What are the Common Causes of House Fires?

The most common causes of house fires and tips to take precautions are as follows:

  • Cooking equipment—pots and pans can overheat and cause a fire very easily if the person who is cooking gets distracted and leaves the cooking unattended. Always stay in the room or ask someone to watch your food whenever you are cooking.
  • Heating—keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything that could easily catch fire such as, furniture, curtains, laundry, clothes, and even yourself. If you have a furnace, get it inspected once a year to ensure that it is working according to safety standards.
  • Smoking in bedrooms—it is best to keep bedrooms off limits for smoking. A cigarette that is improperly put out can cause a flame, because the butt may stay alit for a few hours. It could burst into flames if it contacts with flammable materials, such as furniture.
  • Candles—if candles are left unattended, then they can cause a room to easily burst into flames. Keep candles away from any obviously flammable items such as, books and tissue boxes. Always blow a candle out before leaving a room.
  • Electrical equipment—an electrical appliance, such as a toaster can start a fire if it is faulty or has a frayed cord. A socket that is overloaded with double adapter plugs can cause a fire from an overuse of electricity.
  • Faulty wiring—homes with inadequate wiring can cause fires from electrical hazards. You should have a licensed electrician come and inspect you house if the following signs exists from bad wiring:
    • Lights dim if you use another appliance.
    • You must disconnect an appliance to work with another one.
    • Fuses blow or trip the circuit frequently.
  • Flammable liquids—if you have any flammable liquids in the home or garage, such as petrol, kerosene, or methylated spirits, then keep them away from heat sources and check the label before storing. Be careful when pouring these liquids.
  • Lighting—lamp shades and light fittings can build up heat if they are very close to light globes. Lamp bases can become a hazard if they are able to be knocked over easily, and so they should be removed.