Kitchen Fire Safety
Cooking fires are the leading cause of fire injuries among older adults.
- Never leave your stove unattended! Always ensure that you closely watch what you are cooking.
- Keep your pot and pan handles turned inward.
- Do not reach above the stove for anything while cooking. This may require reorganizing your things in your cupboards so the items you need for cooking are not stored directly above the stove.
- Keep your curtains, oven mittens, potholders, and towels away from the stove.
- If you have an oven fire, then turn off the oven and keep the door closed.
- Keep your kitchen clean to cut down on grease buildup.
- Do not wear loose or frilly clothing while cooking.
- Never use water on a grease fire. Smother the fire with a lid or baking soda.
- Never use your stove as a heating device.
- Always turn your stove off when you are finished cooking.