Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
How to Prevent Mold from Returning in your Home
For homeowners who had mold remediation services, take the following preventive measures to help keep mold from returning in your home:
- Identify moisture areas and correct it—use a dehumidifier in basements and areas that are prone to moist air. For low-lying areas, sump pumps provide an additional line of protection by removing excess water automatically. Observe any moisture in your home, which includes dark spots on ceilings that indicate a leaky roof, or musty smells inside a closet. Fixing water leaks and replacing decaying wood keeps your home free of fungi.
- Dry wet areas immediately—if water gets into your home, remove it immediately. For example, if you have water in your basement from a burst plumbing pipe or a heavy rainstorm, then dry out the area immediately before there is time for mold to take root. By leaving wet clothes in the washer for a few days can cause mold.
- Keep out moisture with proper ventilation—appliances that produce moisture, like clothes dryers and stoves, should vent outside. Check your AC unit to ensure that it is not generating moisture. If it is leaking, dripping, or the coils are covered in condensate, then call an HVAC repair service.
- Use mold-resistant building materials whenever possible—if you are remodeling, Drywall and Sheetrock that uses fiberglass creates a highly water-resistant surface, and mold cannot break down and metabolize it.
Keep your indoor humidity between 30% and 60%.
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (678) 515-8602
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Panthersville for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Panthersville has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Gresham Park
- Clifton Springs
- East Lake Meadows
- Cedar Grove
- Sugar Creek
- Shoal Creel